Friday, June 21, 2013

Covergirl Eyeshadow Quad Review-Drama Eyes and Blossoms

The other day I was at Walgreens, searching for last-minute items to add to a gift basket I was making.  Of course, I couldn't leave without visiting the makeup section, and there was a BOGO 1/2 off sale on Covergirl.  So, I came home with two quads.  I have been craving burgundy eyeshadow looks lately (no idea why) and the colors I already had just wouldn't go together the way I wanted them to. So, without further ado, let's get to what I tried.
This is Covergirl's Drama Eyes palette, number 222.  This palette has been reviewed and used in tutorials multiple times, I think because of its accessibility and the rather unusual (for the drugstore) burgundy shade on the far right.

Here are my swatches:

The bottom row is without primer, the middle row is with Detrivore Original eye shadow primer, and the top is with Wet n Wild Fergie Take On the Day primer.  The best shades in this palette are the burgundy and the silver, placed second to the right.  The black ( which has slight shimmer that basically disappears after the first swipe with a brush) is extremely sheer, but blends fairly nicely.  The white is sheer as well, but super frosty and would still make a formidable highlight.

This is one of Covergirl's newer palettes,  257 Blossoms.  I loved the mix of bright and muted pinks and purples, and knew that they could make a fantastic "bruised" smoky eye.

Here are the swatches-the primers are in exactly the same order as the Drama eyes: nothing, Detrivore, Wet n Wild.


As you can see, there is one extremely disappointing color in the mix.  The light plum second from the left is basically invisible, despite all the packing I could muster.  However, it does make a nice blending shade for black, dark brown, or purple eye shadows. The dark purple is okay, but primer really brings out its shimmer and depth of color.  The two pinks are just fine, though primer helps them a lot too.

Overall, I give these palettes a 3.5 out of 5-they are quite affordable and extremely easy to find, but they need some working with to really get your money's worth from them.  They range in price from $5-$6 or so, and are available just about anywhere that sells makeup.

Hope that this helps-now go have a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment